Our Featured Artist for June is the painter Jonathan Shearer who is a frequent tutor for the Gallery’s ‘plein air’ workshops. He lives in Alness in Easter Ross and has a studio base there and in Cromarty Arts Centre. Jonathan graduated BA(Hons) Painting & Drawing from the School of Art, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen in 1993.
Jonathan’s work focuses on many of Scotland’s wild landscapes. He visits and revisits particular places many times, where he walks, draws and paints out in the wilds. He works repeatedly in these places to forge a deep and intimate connection with them.
“My paintings are concerned with trying to convey the sensation of being immersed in the landscape, the wind in your face, the soft bogginess of the moor beneath your feet, the clouds enveloping the mountain. The sheer exhilaration of wild places.
“In the landscape I work on small oil paintings on board. Back in the studio I use them to develop larger paintings. Working quickly on several paintings at a time allows the changing light, ebb and flow of the tide and the elusive mood of the landscape to set the pace.
“I hope to convey the changing seasons in the highlands. The hue of the earth through wet and dry days, the gathering and fleeting clouds working their dramatic transformation on the mountains, the play of the elements in the wild places. “
Jonathan has given us some breathtaking pictures of his chosen wild places – Torridon, Assynt and Balnakeil (all, incidentally, on the North Coast 500 Route) as well as Ardtoe in Ardnamurchan, and Glen Nevis.
Our other Gallery highlights this coming month are:
- new jewellery from award-winning Edinburgh jeweller, Eleanor Symms
- more of Greg Dobson’s popular metal fish and stags
- Lochcarron Gallery mugs with three new designs
- an extended range of hand-made clothes from Marigold Clothing by Jackie Parsons who is now in the Gallery one day a week
- paintings and cards from emerging Hebridean artist Rhona Anderson, who is also now helping in the Gallery one day a week
- plus lots of new work from us and our regular exhibitors